Quantcast

Back to back 16s

Nancy Klokocka
I am currently working as the Best Boy Grip on a production in Nova Scotia, Canada that just takes the cake when it comes to working back to back 16s and biting into our turnaround to get every minute of daylight. Unfortunately Production has the money to allow it to abuse the crew to no end and so they do....During Prep, our First A.D. told Production on numerous occasions that they would "kill the crew" if they chose to go to camera with the show as scheduled on the One Liner. They chose to go ahead despite her warnings and here we are, getting completely destroyed.
As we have lost the right to accommodations, many crew find themselves driving home for an hour or more after a 16 hour day. My drive is an hour and a half in each direction. Over the last week, I have been unable to stay awake while driving home. I have fallen asleep on three occasions and hit the rumble strips on the side of the road that, thankfully, woke me up.

Re: Back to back 16s

12on/12off
Thank you, Nancy, for your courageous but chilling account of your present working conditions. Everyone with the 12on12off movement is working tirelessly to get these sorts of personal testimonials out there for the world to see. The dangers, the threats to our very lives, are very real and indisputable. The path to correcting this relentless assault to our health and safety is a difficult one, even as we work everyday confronting our employers, our unions, our government agencies charged with protecting us from this abuse. Your personal account is valuable for all of us and as more and more people come forward with their stories, it will help in our struggle end the chronic long hours that are literally killing us.